FORE! Golf tournaments are one of the most popular fundraisers hosted for Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP). Using your passion for golf can be a very successful fundraising campaign to further the WWP mission. Grab your golf clubs and get on course to host a golf outing for WWP.
With so many passionate and successful golf tournaments hosted for WWP, we asked for some how-to’s and helpful tips from some of our amazing golf hosts and wanted to share them with you:
- Get in touch with a local golf store or pro-shop; they will know of more local level support.
- Become familiar with your area’s regulations. Best place to start may be with your town hall.
- Develop a specific plan including number of golfers participating, fundraising goals and how to reach them, budget (overhead and service fees), as well as potential sponsors and how you plan to approach them.
- Recruit a committee of experienced individuals to help carry out the plan.
- Plan the timeline and assign individual responsibilities.
- Develop a marketing plan.
- Still unsure? Check out the pre-registration packet.
Be sure to consult your golf shop for ideas on the tournament style, but a few include:
- Best ball
- Modified scramble
- Night golf
- Help commemorate the WWP 10-year anniversary by emphasizing 10 in your event with a 10-hole scramble or a special celebration at the 10th hole!
With a solid organizational plan, you should be able to accomplish a few of the following objectives.
- Recruit your golfers.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Acquire gifts and prizes for your participants.
- Plan a fun, upbeat awards ceremony.
- Utilize the online Proud Supporter Community’s templates to write thank you letters and create event flyers.
- Incorporate and educate your participants on the programs and services WWP offers.
- Take photos at your event, share them with your community, and post to the WWP Facebook page.
Once you have a plan in place and you're ready to get started, register your golf tournament as a Proud Supporter event!