Many of our supporters are avid runners, walkers, bikers, and/or swimmers. Utilize your passions by hosting a community athletic event such as a 5k or a cycling event. Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) offers programs and services with the goal of optimizing a warrior’s physical recovery. Share in the passion by organizing your own community athletic event.
ON YOUR MARK…
Ready to lace up your sneakers and get your community active for WWP, but not sure where to start?
- Get in touch with a local running store; they will know of more local level support.
- Become familiar with your area’s regulations. Best place to start may be with your town hall.
- Develop a specific plan including number of participants, fundraising goals and how to reach them, budget (overhead and service fees), as well as potential sponsors and how you plan to approach them.
- Recruit a committee of experienced individuals to help carry out the plan.
- Plan the timeline and assign individual responsibilities.
- Develop a marketing plan.
- Still unsure? Check out the pre-registration packet.
With a solid organizational plan, you should be able to accomplish a few of the following objectives.
- Recruit your athletes.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Acquire gifts and prizes for your participants.
- Plan a fun, upbeat awards ceremony.
- Utilize the online Proud Supporter Community’s templates to write thank you letters and create event flyers.
- Incorporate and educate your participants on the programs and services WWP offers.
- Take photos at your event, share them with your community, and post to the WWP Facebook page.
Once you have a plan in place and you're ready to get started, register your run, walk, bike ride, or swimming event as a Proud Supporter event.